“Coming Out of the Psychic Closet”: Slade Roberson

It turns outs that since there were so many enthusiastic participants for the “Coming Out of the Psychic Closet Interviews” that October is also Coming Out of the Closet month on this blog. It really is most appropriate when you think about the veils thinning at Halloween and how close we come to the other worlds during this month…

Without further ado, I introduce the third interview in this series, with Slade Roberson.

Slade Roberson is an intuitive counselor, writer, and the author of the blog Shift Your Spirits.  Slade teaches others how to communicate with Spirit. His blog is so incredibly rich with knowledge, thoughtfulness, and beauty.  Among a million other pieces of insight I got from his writings, he convinced me that writing is a healing practice, like any other healing art.  Grasping this concept was a big turning point for me, in how I assessed my own value, and how I could help others.

He also authors and provides professional training and mentoring for healing arts practitioners through his site, Automatic Intuition.

Slade will always hold a special place in my heart, as his blog Shift Your Spirits inspired and encouraged me to blog in the first place.  This blog would not exist without his blog.  His fantastic Problogging Tutorial e-book (**50% off if you order by Oct.31), was the only reason that I got cracking in the first place.  It is the perfect tool for anyone who wishes to get started with a spiritually-oriented blog.

I will always be very grateful to him for inspiring me.  Plus, he’s got a magical way with words…read him and find out for yourself.

Do you have specific “super powers” (ie. clairaudient, clairsentient, etc.)?

I experience a mix of the clairs, some greater than others. From “most” to “least”: empath, clairaudient, claircognizant, clairvoyant (just a few sprinkles of the visual, like a bit of glitter here and there…)

What general label to do you use for your “super powers”?  (intuitive, psychic, etc.) Why did you choose this term?

(I’m not at all comfortable with calling intuitive abilities “super powers” — even with quotes.)

Within my extended family, we use the word “psychic” a lot, but to describe a wide range of topics that I would more accurately label “metaphysical.”

I refer to my work as Intuitive Counseling. My sessions with clients incorporate life coaching, career counseling, intuitive astrology, and Jungian vocabulary, modalities, and techniques as much if not more than “psychic” reading, energy work or divination.

Do you believe you were intuitive/psychic as a child?

What kinds of experiences made you think this?

I always had an awareness of spirit entities — both what we would call angels and ghosts. As well as “knowing things” about people or relying on non-verbal cues to make decisions. I also felt plagued and bombarded by other people’s emotions.

Was your family aware of and/or accepting of your psychic abilities?

It was always talked about in general regarding members of my extended family. My parents both readily shared their personal experiences and stories within their families. It was never pointedly discussed in regards to me personally. I don’t remember ever being accused of making things up and was never told not to talk about these kinds of things. If anything, there was a bit of pride and delight in reporting your “hits” to other people — predicting the gender of unborn children, calling out who was calling when the telephone rang…that kind of thing.

Who was the first person you told that you thought you were psychic?

It’s hard to pin that down. Over the years, it seems that I have attracted other highly intuitive people, and we sort of just “know,” without having to be obvious about it, like a kind of radar.

I remember the first person who ever employed me for my abilities, and I believe he actually asked ME, instead of my telling him.

What was their reaction?

By way of explanation, he said his mother was “gifted” and offered me a job, in the same paragraph. This is kind of typical of the people I encounter — it’s probably a bit anticlimactic.

Since I began writing about it publicly in 2006, my blog does all the talking for me. I generally let people bring it up to me.

When did you fully accept that you were psychic?

It became increasingly difficult to ignore… I made a conscious decision to embrace my experiences, at least to myself, in my mid-thirties (2004, if I remember correctly).

Was there a turning point that made you accept your psychic gifts? If so, what was it?

My life sort of “fell apart” on every level, in every area. I imploded.

Are you fully out of the psychic closet today?  If yes, why.  If no, why not.

I guess. I mean, friend me on Facebook or Google me, I’m out there. But I don’t introduce myself to people in my everyday life as “Slade, professional psychic, glad to know you…” It depends on the person and the context, when asked what I “do” I generally identify as an author and a counselor to a stranger. Those who want to know more or are drawn to me energetically will instigate further conversation.

What was the worst reaction you ever got after telling someone you were psychic?

The only negative reactions I get are from fundamentalist, evangelical Christian ministers. Ironically, the cafe where I frequently take my computer to work attracts a lot of youth ministers. In my mind, our purposes and our roles in the world are very similar; they feel quite the opposite. (I should say there are a few exceptions who “get” this, much as I do.) But the only closed-minded, negative reactions I get are from narrow-minded Bible beaters who chat me up in the cafe, best of friends, until they read my blog. Then they never make eye contact with me again.

It always sucks. It always hurts your feelings. It’s always disappointing. Just a little bit.

What was the best reaction?

I was always wary of clinical psychotherapists and actually had something of a fear of being diagnosed as mentally ill – until I actually dated one. Who assured me that I qualify as “well-adjusted, self-actualized, and highly proactive.” It was also suggested to me, that should I ever feel “accused” of being clinically mentally disabled, I should point my critic to my article archives — apparently schizophrenics are not likely to function at that level of productivity and lucidity.

How do you feel now about being psychic?

I feel less and less that it is “special” or “super” anything — I feel that intuitive abilities are inherent to everyone, and that, like an athlete or a musician, I may have some “natural inclination” but more than anything, I am simply someone who has focused, trained, practiced, and worked at it.

What would you recommend to other psychics who are “coming out of the psychic closet”?

Dr. Seuss is my mantra “Those who mind don’t matter; those matter don’t mind.”

Kara’s note:  I have to say this is my very favourite quote about coming out, and the one that has given me personally the most comfort.  Thanks Slade!

What was one thing you feared about coming out that never materialized?

Oh, I had terrible dark fantasies of martyrdom, with me as a modern Joan of Arc, Francis Farmer, or Janet Frame.

What advice do you have for anyone else who is considering “coming out of the psychic closet”?

Be discerning in who, when, and how you “out” yourself. Just like anything about yourself, it’s not something you have to walk around announcing on a t-shirt. Find like-minded people to connect with regarding psychic experiences — your friends, family, and neighbors may not belong to that community. Go to workshops, conferences, training programs and immerse yourself in a like-minded population. (Think HayHouse -type events…) If you can’t afford to travel, are physically isolated, or require a degree of anonymity, the Web provides absolutely thousands of potentially life-changing friends and peers.

Slade has also written some other great articles on coming out of the psychic closet:

***                    ***                    ***                    ***                    ***                    ***

I’m still here at conduitofjoy@hotmail.com, helping you connect to that giant Switchboard in the sky…email me for a reading.

Kara

This entry was posted in Authenticity and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to “Coming Out of the Psychic Closet”: Slade Roberson

1. Eliza says:

This whole concept of ‘outing’ oneself as a psychic fascinates me and this series of interviews is quite an eye-opener.

I think the trick for me is I have never really initiated a conversation about my abilities. I simply wait for an open door in a conversation and let my … you guessed it … intuition tell me if it is right to broach the topic.

As per my last comment, this is why I do not believe I have ever been in ‘the closet’. It’s more like I live in my ‘house’ and I simply wait for someone to invite me into their ‘house’. :-)

Great series!

2. conduitofjoy says:

I think the concept may have been shaped by my perception that one *must* out oneself….which I now think from doing these interviews may not in fact be the case. I like your image of living in your “house” until someone else invites you into their “house”.

Many of those I interviewed even those making a full-time living from intuitive readings, like you, said they do not introduce the subject, but wait to see how open a person is before broaching the subject.

I think there is also alot of “hiding” in the wide open! :) Unless a person wants to see something, they usually don’t see it…even if its right in front of them.

Kara

3. Eliza makes a very good point in her comment; and Kara, these interviews may very well do the job of revealing the “real truth” — that the fear on one side of this hurdle is literally distorting what’s to be found on “the other side” of it.

A few of the questions struck me as wanting to identify a “singular event” — when I searched my memory and experience, I found a much more organic unfolding had occurred over time.

Contemplating this topic, answering these questions, as well as Eliza’s comment here makes me realize that Fear truly invents so much more of its own drama than reality necessarily does. That when we don’t know, our imagination fills in the gaps, and often does quite a number on it.

Of course, I believe if that is something that emerges from this series of articles, then you’ve done a service to anyone who is struggling with a Call to put themselves out into the world in this way.

I really enjoyed doing the interview — thank you for including me!

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention “Coming Out of the Psychic Closet”: Slade Roberson | Conduit of Joy! -- Topsy.com

5. conduitofjoy says:

Hi Slade,

What a reflective and enlightening comment! It is likely that my own fears shaped the questions, and that all the answers reveal that there is not much to be feared, except for perhaps fear itself. :)

As I said, these interviews have really reassured me, and hopefully will do the same for others.

So delighted that you shared of yourself.

Kara

6. Steven H says:

I love reading these! More and more I am wondering if I have any psychic inclinations. I like to think we all do if we open our awareness to it. At the very least, I feel incredibly empathetic and I can usually read people intuitively. I am great at guessing people’s behavior and reactions. The problem with my increased social awareness however is that I often don’t know how to act on it myself. The knowledge is there, but the practice needs work.

Slade’s blogs are fantastic. I absolutely loved his recent post at Automatic Intuition about spirits acting like a web browser. As a big fan of Buddhism, it really rang true for me, and it helps explain how we are all intimately interconnected.

7. conduitofjoy says:

Hi Steven, I’m glad you are enjoying the interviews. We all do have psychic inclinations, we just have to practice to refine them. Like learning another language, we have to train ourselves to be able to hear those internal voices. At first they can be very faint, and hard to recognize. That is why silence, and meditation helps so much. By silencing your “intellect”, you allow the tiny whispers to be heard, without all the mind junk we have going on all the time. Start out slowly and trust yourself. The more you practice, the more easily your skills will come. You must also trust yourself, and act on those intuitive urges.

Slade’s blogs ARE fantastic, I agree. He has some tips on developing your intuition further too. Good luck and keep practicing!

Kara

8. Patti Foy says:

Hi Kara, and Hi Slade,
    Thank you both for yet another eye-opening interview. I’ve been sort of eating up all of these, along with the links that are included (e.g. after reading Anna’s interview I ended up reading some of Slade’s posts about it, then Erin Pavlina’s, etc.)

I’m pretty well on my way to being “out”, and in some ways I am feeling compelled to continue, but it sure has been SUPER to be able to read about others’ experiences so I at least know what to expect. That goes a long way toward being able to make informed decisions and also not being so shocked when certain things unfold.

I will say that I like what Slade said about being around like-minded people. I’ve noticed that has naturally happened for me over the last handful of years, to where when I say something to someone outside my circle and they look at me funny, I’m almost surprised. I mean, do people really still not believe in psychic ability, or think it isn’t just beautifully natural?! Isn’t that kind of like thinking the earth is flat? I mean, really!!!! Just kind of joking… but really!

Thanks so much to you both. Excellent series, Kara!

9. Slade,
    I really enjoyed this interview Slade. For me the topic of “outing oneself” is deeply personal. I have been in the financial services business for nearly 25 years. I have found it extremely difficult to reveal much to all but a handful of people over the years, mostly out of fear that it would affect my livelihood. Outside of work all my friends and family are quite aware of my interests and abilities though. .

Kara, keep up the great work here!

10. Steven and Kara,
    Thank you so much for the compliments to my articles. I identify as a writer more than anything, so it means a lot to hear you praise and recommend my blogs.

Patti,
    I hope reading about our personal experiences will demystify some expectations, making your own evolution more positive all around.

It is easy to become insulated and forget that what is “normal” to you may seem eccentric to another, but I guess that’s true for anything….

Angela,
    A Financial Services environment does seem like it would be “far” away from your spiritual practice, but then, the bright side is that we all benefit from having people like yourself who bring a little light into those unlikely places.

Even if you are not “overt” about your beliefs and practice, you no doubt affect the energy of your profession in subtle, positive ways because of it. It’s kind of like you’re a “missionary.”

If you were really brazenly open about who you are and what you do at work, oh, Gawd, at “best” you probably be inundated with “crystal ball market prediction” requests — both of the lame joke and deadly serious variety!